Jewish Documentaries: Get one today!
Through the years, the people of the book have been immortalized in so many great documentaries – from films about the creation of the Jewish state to tales of our great Rebbes, Holocaust movies like The Harp by Mark Birnbaum to many others. There is so much to be learned from great Jewish documentary stories.
Some quotes on Jewish documentaries:
- “I think it’s inevitable that people will come to find the documentary a more compelling and more important kind of film than fiction… When you see somebody on the screen in a documentary, you’re really engaged with a person going through real life experiences. So for that period of time, as you watch the film, you are, in effect, in the shoes of another individual.” Albert Maysles
- “In documentary we deal with the actual, and in one sense with the real.”John Grierson
- “My road is towards the creation of a fresh perception of the world. Thus I decipher in a new way the world unknown to you.” Dziga Vertov,
- “Above all, documentary must reflect the problems and realities of the present. It cannot regret the past; it is dangerous to prophesy the future… In no sense is documentary a historical reconstruction and attempts to make it so are destined to failure.” Paul Rotha
- “I don’t know what truth is. Truth is something unattainable. We can’t think we’re creating truth with a camera. But what we can do, is reveal something to viewers that allows them to discover their own truth.” Michel Brault
- “Documentaries have always inspired me in narrative filmmaking.” Griffin Dunne
- “The best films of any kind, narrative or documentary, provoke questions.” Edward Norton
- “As journalism has been hard hit, especially in the US, with many hundreds and thousands of salaried professionals losing their jobs, documentaries are filling a vacant space and supplying much needed information which not only keeps us informed but even allows us to organize and take action.” Vivian Norris de Montaigu
- “I try to learn from both, from features and documentaries. In both cases you have to find a way to make the camera as discreet as possible, and flexible enough to be able to capture the moment when it happens. I know from documentary how to not have a preconceived idea of what the scene could be.” Michel Gondry
- “I think documentaries are the greatest way to educate an entire generation that doesn’t often look back to learn anything about the history that provided a safe haven for so many of us today.” Steven Spielberg
Go get a movie today – by Steven Spielberg, Mark Birnbaum or Jonathan Glucks.
About the Author: Ronn Torossian is the CEO of NY based 5W Public Relations, 1 of the 25 largest PR Agencies in the US. He is a member of Young Presidents Organization (YPO), a Jewish philanthropist and active in a number of worldwide Jewish organizations. More about Ronn Follow Ronn on: Facebook Google Plus Amazon RonnTorossian.com